Monday, December 30, 2013

Top Tunes 2013 Edition

IN NO ORDER...yet



  • SuperLove- Charli XCX
  • Applause, Do What U Want- Lady Gaga
  • Julian, Fool Of Me (ft Chet Faker), Beloved- Say Lou Lou (BEST NEWCOMER OF 2013)
  • Your Drums, Your Love- AlunaGeorge
  • We Can't Stop- Miley Cyrus *insert groan here*
  • Tennis Court- Lorde
  • Work Bitch- Britney Spears
  • Come and Get It- Selena Gomez
  • I Was A Fool- Tegan and Sara
  • Valentine's Day- David Bowie
  • Resolution- Matt Corby
  • Best Song Ever, Story Of My Life- One Direction
  • Dear Darlin- Olly Murs
  • L'enfer et Moi- Amandine Bourgeois (BEST EUROVISION TRACK)
  • Under Control- Calvin Harris and Hurts
  • I Love It- Icona Pop and Charli XCX
  • You- Nathaniel
  • Evil Eye- Franz Ferdinand
  • Drew- Goldfrapp
  • Wings- Birdy
  • Habits- Tove Lo
  • All For You- Little Boots
  • Atlas- Coldplay
  • Over The Love- Florence and the Machine 
  • Roar- Katy Perry *rolls eyes*
  • Beauty Queen- Foxes
  • Permission to Love- Hayden James
  • Blood On The Leaves- Kanye West
  • Blind, Somebody to Die For, The Crow- Hurts
  • Bridges- BROODS 
  • Young and Beautiful- Lana Del Rey
  • Rendez Vous- La Plage
  • La La La- Naughty Boy ft Sam Smith
  • Hard Out Here- Lily Allen
  • You My Everything, Burn, How Long Will I Love You- Ellie Goulding
  • Do I Wanna Know?- Arctic Monkeys
  • Got What You Need- Eskimo Joe
  • Fantasy- MSMR
  • Firestarter- Samantha Jade
  • Change Your Life, Bounce- Iggy Azalea
  • Thinking About You- Calvin Harris

And now....the top 10.

10. The Wire- Haim
It was so hard to pick my favourite Haim song for the list because, let's face it, THEY ARE ALL AMAZING. But The Wire rightfully owns a spot for being their big radio breakout hit.

9. Love Me Again- John Newman
I cannot wait for the Northern Soul resurgence. John Newman can start it in my opinion.

8. Thursday- Pet Shop Boys ft Example
The best PSB single in a long time. Neil Tennants' classic vocal stylings with Chris Lowe's beats and Examples rap/singing- why wouldn't you stay for the weekend?

7. Pompeii- Bastille
I dare you not to sing along with the male choir. I DARE YOU. Perhaps one of the of the most uplifting, rousing songs of the year.

6. Work- Iggy Azalea
This track was especially motivating on my daily commutes into work and features one of my favourite lyrics this year 'Valley Girls giving blow jobs for Louboutins/Whatchu call that?/Head over heels'. Great video as well featuring homages to Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, Death Proof and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. 

5. Royals- Lorde
In essence, a diatribe against American Cultural Imperialism. Brilliant.

4. Flatline- MKS
A TUNE. I wasn't putting much stock in the comeback until I heard Dev Hynes was producing a few of their tracks. This first single sold me and it's such a shame that it didn't fare better chart wise. 

3. Hold On, We're Going Home- Drake
How did this get here? No-one knows. But it's a genuinely swoon worthy song with a good beat- just check out the fantastic cover by Arctic Monkeys as well for proof.

2. Riptide- Vance Joy
In the film of my life, this song will be used in a montage sequence of myself (portrayed by Jennifer Lawrence or Meryl Streep) staring out of a car window, towards an imagined future, with the wind blowing in my face. My go-to happy song.

1. Get Lucky- Daft Punk
No brainer. This was THE song of 2013 for me. The combination of Daft Punk, Nile Rodgers and Pharrell Williams provided an explosion of funk and disco that soundtracked the entire year. It just makes you want to get up and dance no matter where you are. Iconic.

So, that seems to wrap up 2013 quite nicely. Now go forth and dance!

No comments: