Monday, November 16, 2009

Robbie Tuesday


Merry Robbie Tuesday everyone! First off, Congrats to the man himself for scoring another Australian number 1 album and number 2 in Britain, unfortunately beaten by JLS by a margin.

Today, I've decided to review Reality Killed the Video Star, taking a detour from the retrospective analyses that I was planning on.

The album starts off with the ballad Morning Sun, which kicks in at around the 30sec mark with percussion and lush strings. The strings seem to be the centrepiece of the whole album, and so they should be because they sound AMAZING.
Bodies, the first single, packs a punch and is really the only upbeat number on the record. Not that I'm complaining. I still believe it is one of his best songs and is catchier than crabs. The video however is a letdown.
You Know Me, the second single, is a doo-wop number and is an achingly sweet song. The video features Robbie as a giant bunny rabbit. Nuff said. The chorus stays in your head for hours on end and I love the repeat chorus after the middle 8 (around the 2:50 mark)
Blasphemy is the last song Robbie and Guy Chambers wrote together and is from the Escapology sessions. The lyrics are very clever indeed, but the tune doesn't entirely strike me as catchy. I think more listens are necessary to appreciate it. Key lyric: What's so great about the great depression?/Was it a blast for you?/Because it's Blasphemy
Do You Mind? is a little more classic Rob i.e Sing/Escapology that's been given a kick up the arse. Bridge reminds me of another song, but I just can't put my finger on it. The chorus is a lot of fun to sing along to and I can imagine this being a fan favourite live. 'Does anyone fancy Monaco?'
Up next is Last Days of Disco WHICH WILL BLOW YOUR MIND AND YOUR LOINS. Hands down one of the best Robbie songs ever. I love when he goes heavy disco and the bridge is fantastic especially on its second and third appearances where he goes for a key change almost, and kinda sounds like Neil Tennant. And the dance break down? Amazing. The strings and synths just work so well together. 'Don't call it a comeback/Look what I invented here/ I thought it was easy' and 'The fascination of/a boy and girl in love'. Epitomy of heavy disco. Almost like a fuck you song.
The next track, Somewhere, is one minute long, but isn't called an interlude offically. It is very pretty and almost Swing Robbie.
Deceptacon is up next and it's another synth + strings mix. It's sounds really lovely too because it kind of soars during the chorus. The lyrics are great too: 'From all of us here/to all of us there'... 'And all over Britain/we wait for permission/to form another queue'.
Starstruck was described as the lovechild of Fastlove and Amazing by George Michael and it does very much sound like that. After LDoD, this was the next track I was eager to hear and did not dissappoint. The chorus is very ballsy. Someone on a message board said this is the kind of song Kylie needs- pop but mellow and catchy and I can definately hear her singing this. Key lyric: 'I guess the odds are very good/but the goods are very odd'
Aaah, Difficult for Weirdos. Upon first listen, I didn't take much notice of this. But then I heard it again. And again. And I love it. Wouldn't sit out of place on Rudebox. It is very much electro-pop Robbie, which I happen to love. Double points for this lyric: 'He's a lesbian/but that's okay' And the handclap breakdown.
Superblind: amazing chorus, average verses. But I can deal with that. Favourite lyric from this track: 'I'm the genius behind me/Maybe I shouldn't have said it.'
Won't Do That: Robbie's first love song. And it reminds me of Something Beautiful, a little bit in the chorus and I can hear remnants of Dusty Springfield and Marcia Hines in the horn section as well.
The album finishes with a reprise of Morning Sun, thus coming full circle.
Overall, I really love this album. His voice sounds so good and strong and I can totally understand what he meants when he said it's New Robbie meets Old Robbie and a Robbie we haven't met yet. It's a mellow album, but it packs more a punch than Intensive Care (possibly due to Trevor Horn's production. Moar please!). There's hints of Escapology and it's not as experimental as Rudebox. And like Intensive Care, it sounds like an album, like a body of work. The reprise also reminds me of what Coldplay did on Viva La Vida by using Life in Technicolor at the beginning and at the end of the album. Definately in my top 3 Robbie albums and a must have.
8.5-9/10

No comments: