Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Hail to the Rove!




Upon opening my diary on the morning of Tuesday 13th May, I was pleasantly greeted by a photo of a boyish looking man with very short hair, holidng a fish bowl. May has officially been renamed as "The month formerly known as May that will now be known as Rove." At least in my world it has been. And my world is AWESOME!!

The whole day I was filled with nervous excitment (is there any other kind?). Going to Rove's stand up show was really, really special to me, becuase the last time he toured was in 2005. When I was overseas. In Egypt. Riding a friggin camel. In the desert. That may sound cool to other people, but clearly, I was not impressed. I came back from that holiday ON THE LAST NIGHT OF HIS SYDNEY SHOW.
So, you can imagine how adament I was on getting tickets to see him in Sydney, especially as they were first released with the words "ONE SHOW ONLY!" attached. (Token, I'm looking at you).
Learning from my experience at both the taping of "Rove" and the James Blunt concert, I came prepared. I charged my digital camera AND my phone, just in case-ys.
Katerina, my BFF and fellow nutcase, bravely agreed to see the show with me. I say brave because as it turns out, I almost spontaneously combusted. Almost.
The night was planned with military style precision.And it went a little bit like this:
1730 hrs: Leave house to go pick up Kat.
1800 hrs: Arrive at Kat's place.
1805 hrs: Kat enters car shoeless.
1806 hrs: Kat has both shoes on
1821 hrs: Arrive at Enmore Theatre.
Side note: I didn't realise there would be a HUGE FRIGGIN BILLBOARD OF ROVE at the Theatre. Otherwise, I would ahve been camera ready :(
1824 hrs: Walk around to find food.
1825 hrs: Food is found. (Chips ala Portugese style- doubley yum!)
1850 hrs: Walk back to Enmore.

And this point, we arrived at our first dilemma- would they check bags? Quick answer: no. Crisis over. (I will give a fantail and/or cookie to the first person who gets the reference.)
Second dilemma (well for me, anyway). I have a thing with concerts and the like, where I have to get a t-shirt as a souvenir. Lo and behold, there in the corner, as Kat and I walked in, was the teeny tiny merchandising counter. (insert lame reference to Rove's height).
Me: OMG!!!! KAT!!! HE HAS T-SHIRTS!
Kat: Oh, cool. Are you gonna get one?
Me: *blank face* Duh.
Kat: Which one?
Me: OMG, BABY BUMP!!! Huh? oh...I don't know! Which one do you think I should get?
Kat: Baby Bump?
Me: I'll explain later. It's in the show. WHICH ONE SHOULD I GET?!?!
Kat: Which one do you like?
Me: Ths fish one looks nice...
Kat: So get that one.
Me: BUT BABY BUMP!!!!
Kat: *pauses* Think about it logically. Would you wear the Baby Bump tee to uni? What if you were bloated? It might look like you were preggers!
Me: *considers* True dat. And it's probably intended for guys anyway.
Lady at counter: Do you want the fitted or normal tee?
Me: OH GOD, MORE OPTIONS?!?!?!?

After that bit of crazy, we were ushered to our seats, which I have to say, deserve a special mention for being SO AWESOME! We were so close to the stage, I was literally having little freak outs and making sure my top was staying on (don't take it like that!!! It was really loose at the straps :( But so pretty!)
Took a picture of the stage twice. Once with my camera on the phone and the second, Kat took on my digital camera. But not before we mucked around and took like a thousand pictures of ourselves for facebook. (Again, reference scores a goodie.) Coincidentally, the two slightly older ladies behind us were doing the same. Kat and I both noticed the ratio of ladies to men was a bit out of whack. Make of that what you will.
Kat: "It's 7:35!"
Me: "ABCEDFGGGGGGGGGGG!!!" Squeel. Squeel. Squeel. Kat can show you the nail marks.

And it was with a bang (literally) that the show began. And the first thing I noticed? He was wearing my jeans. And he has tiny legs!! I had heard from another friend who had seen him at red carpet even that he was quite skinny, but at the "Rove" taping, I didn't notice because he was hidden underneath the suit. But he really is short and skinny. Cept for the bulging arms. Tres distracting.

ATTENTION!!!!!!!!! THE FOLLOWING CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!! You have been warned.
I don't want to give too much away, but personal highlights are as follows:
- "I LIKE ICE-CREAM!" YESSSS!!! Bring it back Rovey. bring it back. I think I was the only one clapping when he said this.
- "Note to self- more dumb songs" Yes please. Loved both of them. In fact, any time that Rove sings and/or dances, there are bits of me that just go giddy.
- The fact that no-one was in the chair infront of me, thus allowing for perfect vision and attempts to make eye contact.
- The Benny Hill parts... *giggles*
- Emoticons! Rove is so good at facial funnies- he's a physical comic, which sometimes doesn't come across on the television.
-Cockroach bit- I swaer he was pointing and talking about Kat, but she denies this. Not what he said,b ut that he was referencing her.
- The George Bush part- Shout out to Eleni.
- SYTYCD- shout out to Karina.
-The Santa Clause part.
- When he had no idea where the joke was going.
- The bird part. I was so tempted to bring band aids just in case. But I loved the extra bit he put in at the end.
- The medical examination *giggles* "I've seen Rove's Logie,and it ain't so Gold!"
- Any and all times that he swore. As Kat and I agreed "He sounds like a 12 yr old cursing!"
- the girly voice. I *heart* it. AND HE DID HIS GIRLY RUN!!!!
- The fruit cake/sun dried part.
- The tabloids part. Nod, nod , nod.

Was also pleasantly surprised to find no opening act. Not that I'm against supporting new Aussie comics, but more Rovey for my buck pwease!
Sadly, unlike Wil Anderson's show, Rove went backstage immediately after the show and didn't come back out for meet and greet.
But not before I scored the pic at the start of this post. It's my new wallpaper on my computer *le sigh*
To be honest, I didn't want the show to end. It didn't feel like there we were there watching this mega star tell jokes to us: more like we just happened to stumble upon one another and start a conversation. A fantastic show; I give it 9 Roves' out of 10 McManus'



No comments: